The Kingdom of Daytar Leamay
Tiny to Huge Dragon CR: 2 to 20
Languages: Draconic, Common
Organization: Single or family (2-5)
Treasure: 2x standard, + 50% gems
Description: Coal Dragons are the distant cousin of gem dragons and they are the only true dragon that are wingless. Their hides look like they are embedded with coal with a small seam of fire holding it all together. Coal dragons are able to control the amount of fire that is visible through their coal scales, ranging from no light at all to the amount of a standard torch.
Special Abilities Descriptions:
- Breath weapon: Coal dragons have a line of fire breath weapon. use standard breath weapon rules.
- Immunities: Coal dragons are immune to fire and poison damage, furthermore when they reach adulthood they become immune to piercing damage and when they are ancient they become immune to slashing damage.
- Pyrotechnics: When a coal dragon is very young they gain the ability to use the spell like ability of pyrotechnics as the spell (PHB pg 267) 3/day + 1/day per age level, for example an adult coal dragon can use pyrotechnics 7/day. They can either create a cloud of soot and smoke or a flashy display of blinding fireworks around themselves.
The fireworks create a momentary burst of bright fire. This effect causes creatures within 120’ of the dragon to become blinded for 1d4+1 rounds (will save DC:12+1 per age, negates).
The Soot cloud creates a billowing cloud of smoke that forms a choking cloud. The cloud spreads for 20’ in all directions and lasts for 4 rounds. All sight, even dark vision, is ineffective in or through the cloud. All creatures within the cloud take a -4 penalty to strength and dexterity (Fort DC:12+1 per age, negates)
- Spider climb: At the young age, coal dragons can walk on walls or ceilings at will as if they were effected by a spider climb spell (PHB pg283). They climb at a speed of 20’
- Spit fireball: At the Juvenile stage, coal dragons are able to hork up a ball of coal and fire. The fireball is about 2 ½’ across and has a range increment of 10’ with a maximum range of 60’. The fireball does 2d6 blunt damage and 1d6 fire damage, the fire damage increases by +1d6 for every 2 age categories. For example an Old coal dragon deals 2d6 blunt and 3d6 fire damage, and a Great Wyrm deals 2d6 blunt and 5d6 fire damage.
- Damage Reduction: At the young adult stage coal dragons begin to become resistant to damage their hides slowly become increasingly hardened, this damage reduction increases every 2 age categories, from DR:5/magic up to DR:20/magic at the wyrm stage.
- Transmute Rock to lava: When coal dragons reach Old age they can turn they very rocks around them into boiling hot lava 1/day. Much like the spell transmute Rock to Mud (PHB pg295) a coal dragon can effect up to 8 10’ cubes in any arraignment they like. The coal dragon must be touching one edge of the lava. Lava deals 2d6 points of fire damage per round of exposure, except in the case of total immersion which deals 20d6 per round. Characters continue to take half of the initial damage for 1d3 rounds after exposure (1d6 or 10d6). Characters standing on the transforming rock may make a reflex save DC:20 to get off that spot but must use a move action to do so.
- Diamond scales: As a coal dragon becomes a Wyrm the coal embedded in their hides has received enough heat and pressure to transform into diamonds. At first this looks like small crystals growing on them but soon begins to coat the coal scales completely. This coating of diamond gives the dragon a Hardness:5 on top of their damage reduction, which increases to Hardness:10 at Great wyrm stage.
- Fireball Swarm: At the venerable age of Great wyrm the coal dragon can spit a swarm of fireballs. The fire balls are the same as those created by their spit fire ball ability except that they can spit up to 4 fireball in one round and the fireballs explode in a 40’ spread whether they hit anything or not, dealing 6d6 damage to anyone caught in the area. Characters caught in the blast may make a DC: 20 Reflex save for ½ damage.
Characters caught in more than one blast may make saves for each individual blast.
- Frightful presence: A mature adult coal dragon can unsettle foes with its mere presence. This ability takes effect automatically whenever the dragon attacks or charges. Creatures within a radius of 30’ x the age category are subject to its effect as long as they have fewer HD than the dragon. A creature within the area must succeed a Will save (DC listed below) or be either shaken or panicked. Success renders the creature immune to that dragons presence for 24 hours. Creatures who’s HD is 4 or less who fail their save are panicked for 4d6 rounds, and those who have 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Dragons ignore the frightful presence of other dragons.
|2:Very young||S||5D12+5 (35)||18||10||12||6||10||6|
|5:Young Adult||M||14D12+28 (112)||26||8||14||6||10||6|
|7:Mature Adult||L||20D12+80 (200)||35||7||18||6||10||6|
|9:Very old||L||26D12+104 (260)||35||7||19||6||10||6|
|12:Great wyrm||H||35D12+210 (420)||43||6||23||7||10||6|
|Age||Base Att||Grapple (CMB)||F/R/W saves||Breath weapon||Bite/ Claw||Speed (Burrow)||Init|
|1||+2||-4 (+2)||4/3/3||30’ 2d4 DC:9||1d3+2 bite||40’ (40’)||+0|
|2||+5||+ 5 (+ 8)||5/4/4||40’ 4d4 DC:10||1d4+4/1d3+4||40’ (40’)||+0|
|3||+ 8/+3||+ 8 (+ 11)||7/6/6||40’ 6d4 DC:12||1d4+4/1d3+4||40’ (40’)||+0|
|4||+11/6/1||+ 19 (+ 19)||9/6/7||60’ 8d4 DC:13||1d6+8/1d4+8||30’ (50’)||+3*|
|5||+14/9/4||+ 22 (+ 22)||11/8/9||60’ 10d4 DC:15||1d6+8/1d4+8||30’ (50’)||+3*|
|6||+17/12/7/2||+ 25 (+ 25)||12/9/10||60’ 12d4 DC:16||1d6+8/1d4+8||30’ (50’)||+3*|
|7||+20/15/10/5||+ 36 (+ 33)||16/10/12||80’ 14d4 DC:18||1d8+12/1d6+12||25’ (55’)||+3*|
|8||+23/18/13/8/3||+ 39 (+ 36)||17/11/13||80’ 14d4 DC:19||1d8+12/1d6+12||25’ (55’)||+3*|
|9||+26/21/16/11/6/1||+ 42 (+ 39)||19/13/15||80’ 18d4 DC:21||1d8+12/1d6+12||25’ (55’)||+3*|
|10||+29/24/19/14/9/4||+ 52 (+ 47)||22/14/16||100’ 20d4 DC:22||2d6+16/1d8+16||20’ (60’)||+2*|
|11||+32/27/22/17/12/7/1||+ 56 (+ 50)||24/16/18||100’ 22d4 DC:24||2d6+16/1d8+16||20’ (60’)||+2*|
|12||+35/30/25/20/15/10/5||+ 59 (+ 53)||25/17/19||100’ 24d4 DC:25||2d6+16/1d8+16||20’ (60’)||+2*|
- Includes improved initiative
|1||2||12 (+2 nat)||-||Immune to Fire and poison|
|2||3||13 (-1 size, +4 nat)||-||Pyrotechnics|
|3||4||15 (-1 size, +6 nat)||-||Spider climb|
|4||5||16 (-2 size, +8 nat)||-||Spit fireball|
|5||7||18 (-2 size, +10 nat)||-||DR:5/magic|
|6||8||20 (-2 size, +12 nat)||-||Immune to piercing damage|
|7||11||23 (-3size, +14 nat)||DC:18||DR:10/magic|
|8||12||25 (-3 size, +16 nat)||DC:19||Transmute rock to lava|
|9||14||27 (-3 size, +18 nat)||DC:21||DR:15/magic|
|10||17||31 (-4 size, +20 nat)||DC:22||Immune to slash damage|
|11||18||33 (-4 size, +22 nat)||DC:24||DR:20/magic, Diamond scales:5|
|12||20||35 (-4 size, +24 nat)||DC:25||Fireball swarm, Diamond scales:10|